Rapid hair loss can cause baldness in both men and women. It can be a result of several reasons, be it nutrition deficiency, genes of pattern baldness, aging or unhealthy habits. Hair transplant has become a popular treatment to restore hair density. Hair transplant techniques have improved by leaps and bounds over the years.
There are two known hair transplant techniques- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). FUT is a common procedure done all over the world. A stripe of tissue is removed from the back of the scalp with the help of a specialized cutting tool. This is why it is called Stripe Harvesting. Grafts are then separated and placed in the recipient site where they form their base. On the hand, FUE is a newer and much more advanced technique. Here the hair follicles are extracted individually and then embedded into the recipient area using the latest technology. A surgeon has to place these grafts precisely in an angle to ensure growth in the natural direction.
If you are thinking to get a hair transplant, then you can benefit from these tips. Keep reading to know about some basic but important factors to keep in mind before going for the treatment-
1. Hair transplant is more feasible for people with a healthy donor site on their scalp. This means that if you are completely bald then surgeons may or not recommend hair transplant. Hair from other body areas can be transplanted like back and chest but the surgery complexity and nature of hair can change.
2. Once the hair grows after treatment, it doesn’t require any special care. Patients don’t have to use any specific product or shampoo, they have to follow the aftercare guide given by the doctor.
3. This is a permanent treatment but sometimes to increase the hair density, even more, patients go for other non- surgical hair restoration treatments or the second round of transplant.
4. While deciding your doctor for the procedure, don’t just look out for the reduced prices or discounts, but consider the plastic surgeon’s experience and previous results acquired for other patients. Low cost and poor treatment may land you with several scars on the scalp and no prominent hair restoration.
5. FUT leaves a scar on the scalp and FUE is a scarless procedure. Discuss with your surgeons as to which one will be the better procedure for you.
6. Patients experience shedding after transplantation but this is completely normal and the hair will grow eventually, you just have to be patient.
7. This is a painless procedure as patients are operated under local anaesthesia. Patients experience a little discomfort after the anaesthesia wears off but doctors prescribe painkillers for this. So you don’t have to worry about the surgery to be extremely painful.
8. This is an outpatient procedure and you will be discharged right after the treatment. Patients can decide if they can get back home by themselves or have someone to accompany them after the procedure.
When anyone thinks to get a hair transplant, they want to know the results and benefits they could reap out of this procedure. You will have natural hair growth after the surgery. Therefore no one might even recognize that you got a transplant. There is a uniform distribution of hair on the head that grows in the same direction. But patients should follow the post-procedure care tips given by the doctor in order to avoid any infections.
If you are looking for a hair transplant surgeon, then we can help you. Dr Shilpi Bhadani is a known Plastic surgeon and has her hair transplant clinic in Gurgaon. Dr. Shilpi Bhadani often combines hair transplant with Crown PRP to amplify the results of the procedure.
With an in-depth skin and scalp check-up and medical history analysis, the aim is to understand the cause of hair fall and work from there on. With excellent patient care and a team of experienced staff, you are bound to have a wonderful experience and the best hair transplant in Gurgaon.