Ever since celebrities took interest in the world of hoverboards, the market has constantly seen a steady increase in the supply of these two wheels electric devices. In recent times, these simply self balancing scooters, similar skateboards have undergone many criticisms mostly concerning its safety. For this reason, many newer versions are designed and constructed to offer not just security and safety, but also incorporate many modern features which make them comfortable to ride. But what is a hoverboard? How can one buy the best hoverboards? What are the various features that make these devices so special?
In a bid to provide satisfactory answers to these questions, we are going to be looking at some of the best hoverboards in the market and the features they possess that makes them considered the safest hoverboards to buy.
Note that, the various different self balancing scooters reviewed here are those considered the best hoverboard and which has the required approvals to be sold in the US and the EU.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: What is a Hoverboard?
The world has been taken by storm, with the emergence of these self-balancing devices. Many people, including you are currently interested in finding out more information about these devices, which has grown so popular and can be found in practically any mall available for sale. However, most people are not quite sure what a hoverboard really is.
The Self – balancing scooter, commonly known as hoverboard is a two-wheeled, portable, electric device that is also commonly known as self-balancing scooters. This name, “hoverboard” may be confusing as many people may think it’s a type of hovering or flying board. But this is not the case as it is always in contact with the ground. However, the term hoverboard, was used to refer to a levitating device made popular by 1980’s film “Back to the Future”, where Marty travels into the future just to discover that teenagers were riding on levitating boards without wheels. These devices consist of a platform for the rider, located between the two wheels and powered by large lithium-ion batteries. Their function can be likening to that of powered skateboards.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: How do Hoverboards Work?
As many people try to get a grip of what these devices that has become so popular really are, one question they frequently want to be answered is: how do hoverboards work? In order to provide a satisfying answer to this question, one would want to know the various features of the hoverboard and how they work together to bring about the mobility of this device. A hoverboard comprises of the following features:
- A steel frame with a central pivot
- Two Gyroscopes: To determine and maintain the balance or pitch of the device.
- Microprocessors: These are use to regulate the power output to the wheels.
- Battery: Stores and provide electrical power for your hoverboard. This is usually a high-watt lithium battery.
- Two electric Motors: Located inside the wheels to turn the wheels
- A logic board
- Two infrared sensors
- Two tilt/speed sensors (located inside the wheels)
- Charging port
- Power switch
- LED lights
- Pressure pads
- A plastic shell
All these components work together bring about balance and motion of the hoverboard. The battery provides the correct power output, the gyroscopes manage the balance so that its rider stays upright and the motor propel it at a controlled speed. The rider stands on the platform between the two wheels and adjusts the speed and direction of the board by applying his weight to the direction he intends to move. The most popular self-balancing scooter will go at a speed between 6 and 10 miles per hour, with a few reaching speeds of 12 miles per hour. Every hoverboard is different in that each one uses a different set of microprocessors, motors and battery.
Let’s take a look at how the components work together to bring about balance and motion.
Gyroscope and the Speed Control Boards
The gyroscope and speed control are designed to receive tilt information from the sensor inside the wheels and the motion signals (in revolution per minutes), and in turn, they send it to the main logic board.
The gyroscopes are basically “zeroed”, needing calibration. This is simply a way of telling the gyroscopes, this is flat, thus this is when the hoverboard’s tilt is at 0.
To calibrate your hoverboard,
- Simply put your self-balancing scooter on a level surface (this is crucial), and turn it on.
- Lock the hoverboard by pressing the unlock button once.
- Whenever the battery symbol turn red, press and hold down both the “lock” and “unlock” buttons on your remote. This will cause the hoverboard to beep, the battery symbol to turn orange and flash together with the “IO” symbol.
In order to bring about motion and move the rider, the tilt sensors in the wheels detect the direction of your weight and send signals to inform the gyroscopes how far forward or backward you’re leaning. The gyroscopes intern sends this information to the logic board.
The more you’re leaning forward, for example, the faster the logic board signals the motors to spin, to sort of “meet up” with your center of gravity. It’s this simple mechanism which allows you to control the cruising speed of the hoverboard with your weight.
The Wheel Sensor
The wheels of the self-balancing scooter house the electric motors themselves. They also contain a speed and tilt (balance) sensor. This detects the revolutions per minute (rpm) of each wheel, and sends it to the speed control boards and gyroscope, located inside the main body, just next to the wheels.
The Main Logic Board
The logic board is regarded as the “brain” of your self-balancing scooter, and it’s where the processor computes in real time the status of the board, the rate or speed at which you’re travelling and the velocity (relative speed) and tilt of the individual wheels. For instance, when you turn, the two wheels are given opposing tilts, and hence opposing revolution per minutes and motion.
The main logic board also controls or regulate the power management of the board, and whether you are in “beginner mode” (meaning limiting the max speed of the board) or if the scooter is “locked”.
The Battery Pack
The battery pack is what provides the needed power to your hoverboard and keeps it going. While there are different batteries packs and rating, the vast majority of them are the 36V, 4400mAH battery packs. Sometimes manufacturers use smaller capacity batteries in order to produce a cheap hoverboard.
The Pressure Pads
The pressure pads is possibly the most clever part of the self-balancing scooter that sit on two switches each.
When the rider lean forward, the front switch is pushed down. This caused a little plastic “wall” to slides in-between an infrared sensor and an infrared LED.
While the sensor detects the light, the logic board will interpret it and send signals to the motors to be still but once the light is interrupted (cause by the switch being pushed down by your weight), the logic board immediately send signals to the motor to spin in a particular direction.
Thus, for example, if you’re turning right, your left foot activates the front left switch, making the left wheel to spin forward, while your right foot activates the back right switch, causing the right wheel to spin backwards.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: How to Ride a Self-balancing Scooter or Hoverboard
Many people still find it difficult to ride on a hoverboard. Thus, if you’ve been waiting or trying to gets a new Self Balancing Scooter, and finally, you got it. The next think on your mind is how to ride it. You may have tried putting one foot on and the hoverboard starts to move. You step off, and try again. At this moment, you are wobbling back and forth on your hoverboard.
So, how are you going to get it right?
How to Ride a Hoverboard: Getting on the Hoverboard
- To get going, start by giving your battery a full charge.
- Turn your hoverboard on and place it in front of you, right next to your toes.
- If your board features a beginner mode, turn it on.
- Some people prefer ridding with the LEDs on the front, while others prefer the lights on the back. However, newer models specifically say that the lights should be on the front.
Start with putting either your right or left foot (whichever is more comfortable) on the scooter. Make sure you note the following:
- You keep the hoverboard “flat” (i.e. level with the ground).
- Your foot should be as close as possible to the wheel. The mistake most people do when they first started was that their feet were not as wide as possible, which causes riding the hoverboard difficult.
So, immediately your right foot is on, just “step on” the hoverboard with the left feet. If you overthink it, you may fall. Just look at your scooter like a stairs and step on it such.
The usually first reaction is to be tense up, and thus causing you to wobble back and forth.
The best thing to do once you lift the second feet to put on the scooter is to look in front of you (not down) and free or relax your mind. At this point, don’t try to move, just stand on the hoverboard, and relax your mind.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: How to Move Around on the Hoverboard
Moving Forward or Backward
In order to move, you have to lean in the direction you want to travel. For example, if you want to move forward, you have to lean (put your weight) forward. Once you lean forward, your both foots will cause both front switches of your scooter to be pushed down. This will caused a little plastic “wall” to slides in-between an infrared sensor and an infrared LED and interrupt it.
This interruption causes the logic board to immediately send signals to the motor to spin in a forward direction.
In the same light, if you want to move backward, you have to lean backeard. This may make you think you have to do more than you actually do to move.
Remember that if you lean too much, you will fall, thus, you have to give just as much leaning as it is slightly shifting your weight.
In order to turn, you will be required to “twist forward” the foot that’s opposite your turning direction. For instance, if you want to turn left, you have to twist your right foot. This may just mean pushing your right toe forward. Thus if you’re turning right, you twist your left foot to activates the front left switch, making the left wheel to spin forward. This should come naturally, it’s almost like the hoverboard “knows” what you want to do.
Attempt a slight turn!
Taking a Sharp Turn
To take a sharper turns, you may want to twist one foot to the front and the other to the back. That is while you twist your left toe to turn right, your right foot activates the back right switch, causing the right wheel to spin backwards. When you’re an expert, you can literally spin in place like this.
Stepping Off your Hoverboard
To step off your self-balancing scooter, you simply want to do the opposite of what you did to get on. Start by shifting your balance to your dominant foot, and then step down with your non-dominant foot first then the dominant foot. What you should avoid is the temptation to “jump off” and do a controlled dismount. You’ll prevent injuring yourself, and possibly scratching your hoverboard.
Note that stepping on and off your board is probably going to be the hardest thing of the whole process and it’s what’s going to take you the longest time to master. Try practicing just stepping on and off for a little while to get used to it.
Using the Hoverbaord’s Remote
True to the nature of the hoverboard, some manufacturers have chosen to include more or less functionality in the remote that comes with your self-balancing scooters. The following instructions apply specifically to the IO Hawk, but they can also be applicable to most other manufacturers’ remotes too.
Turning on/off the Hoverboard
You can only able to turn on the hoverboard by pushing the button on the hoverboard itself.
Turn off the hoverboard by pressing and holding the “lock” button on the remote.
Lock Your Hoverboard
Lock the hoverboard by pressing the “unlock” button on the remote. To unlock, you still have to press the same button again. The battery light turns green when unlocked, and when locked, it turns red.
Setting the Hoverboard to Beginner’s Mode
When your hoverboard is set to beginner mode, its max speed will be set to 3mph as opposed to the regular 6.2mph. This is the best way to start with your hoverboard experience and gain confidence in the board.
Note that not all self-balancing scooters have a beginner mode like the IO Hawk.
To enable or turn on Beginner Mode, simply press and hold down the “unlock” button for 3 seconds or until the “IO” symbol flashes green.
To disable or turn off beginner mode, just press and hold the “unlock” button for 3 seconds.
Best Hoverboard Brands: PowerBoard Scooter
PowerBoard hoverboard is one of the most famous and best hoverboard brands on the market. Not only that, it is also one of the most affordable and safest hoverboards that is present in the market.
But, its cheapness has not compromised on the quality, safety or on the certification, making it the best hoverboard to buy.
- This Powerboard hoverboard comes with UL 2272 certification. This makes sure that they are of high quality, and safe (they won’t overheat easily or spontaneously catch fire).
- PowerBoard is a US based, best hoverboard brand, which make sure its products are of high quality. Its orders are processed and shipped quickly, thus it can be the USP for many people who want fast or quick shipments.
- Excellent max speed at about 10 Km per hour. Even though this product is very cheap, it offers one of the best speeds compare to other hoverboards.
- PowerBoard hoverboards come with a one-year warranty. This is a rare feature when it comes to hoverboards, not to mention one which is also consider the cheapest self balancing scooter.
- The riding experience is smooth and straightforward. Also, turning around the corners at high speeds is safe and easy.
Best Hoverboard Brands: SwagTron T1
Swagtron is one of the best hoverboard brands on the market. They have a good number of models beneath their belt such as the SwagTrongT1 and T3 (which also comes with Bluetooth speakers). The SwagTrongT1 is known as a high-end model as it comes with some of the advanced features that are required in a hoverboard.
Also, then SwagTrongT1 hoverboard is UL 2272 certified making it secure and consider one of the safest hoverboards one can buy.
- It offers riders with max speed 12km per hours making it one of the fastest, yet safest hoverboard.
- This self balancing board comes equipped with a 300-watt dual electric motor.
- This hoverboard comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery that provide power for up to 2.5 hours on just one charge.
Best Hoverboard Brands: Razor Hovertmax 2.0
The Razor hovertmax 2.0 is a better design and comes with advanced features as compare to its predecessor, hovertmax 1.0. It looks like a beast from the outside. Its headlines and four pads serve the purpose very well.
This self balancing board is better protected from an accident with wider metal guards on the wheels to shield them from lateral impacts, and the top rubber strip guards that can be more resilient against collision.
This hoverboard is UL 2272 certified which guarantee its quality and safety. Razors uses an LG battery pack which is renowned for its safety features and provide electric energy to power the hoverboard for 60 minutes and at a speed of 8 mph.
- UL 2272 certified, which ensures the product’s quality and safety
- 8MPH max speed
- This self balancing board is better protected against collision damage
- It has a front facing LED lights that can help during night rides in guiding you
- It’s self-balancing mechanism makes it one of the safest hoverboard
- This hoverboard is easy to use as well.
- The Razor hovermax 2.0 comes with a 1-year warranty which is a rare feature which makes it one of the best hoverboard to buy.
Best Hoverboard Brands: Halo Rover Hoverboard
The Halo Rover hoverboard stands out in its design as compared to the standard hoverboard designs. It comes with an enhanced hardware that can guarantee safety. Also, Halo Rover has a mobile app which helps to facilitate control.
The product comes with an LG battery pack which is durable and safe (do not easily get hot). Its Bluetooth speaker allows for easier streaming of music directly and also allow for easy tracking of the device.
Halo Rover has special large tires that concentrate on improving stability and grip on different types of surfaces compare to other products in this category.
The front side of this self balancing board is equipped with LED lights for guidance and smaller and are complex wheel guards. It’s powered by dual monitor system and comes with one year warranty.
- Halo Rover hoverboard is UL 2272 certified thus it’s of high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard.
- It comes with responsive pressure pads that provide stability and safety
- This product comes with LG Fire-safe battery pack, known for its quality and security.
- Multiple ride (beginner, moderate and advanced) modes make this self balancing board to stand out among others as most hoverboards fail to meet this feature
- This hover board is water resistant
- It has a dedicated mobile app feature which is one of the best.
- The halo rover board comes with no flat tires
- 10 MPH max speed
Best Hoverboard Brands: EPIKGO Hoverboard
The EPIKGO is one of the best hoverboard brands with new models to make your hoverboard experience a fun and an enjoyable one. It also produced one of the safest hoverboards which are also UL 2272 certified. While this hoverboard is comparatively more expensive than an average hoverboard, its extra features are worth the additional bucks.
Its 8-inch wheels make it comparatively better than the standard 6.5-inch hoverboards. This makes it easier to use on various terrains and obstacles.
Their hardware is subjected to many quality assurance tests. It comes with a 400-watt dual motor which is capable of reaching 10 miles per hour maximum speed. A fully charged battery can easily last at top speed for one hour.
- This self balancing board is UL 2272 certified which makes sure it’s of high quality and also one of the safest hoverboards to buy
- 10 MPH max speed. This feature makes it stand out as only a handful of hoverboards are capable of reaching 10 MPH top speed.
- Their large (8-inc) inflated wheels make riding the hoverboard more comfortable
- Its front facing LED lights help guide your path, especially during night riding
- This hoverboard comes with a 1-year warranty, a rare feature which makes it one of the best hoverboard to buy
- The self-balancing mechanism help ensures the user safety
- The product is easy to learn and ride
Best Hoverboard Brands: Segway miniPRO Hoverboard
Segway miniPRo is one of the better-built self balancing scooters, with premium price. The product comes with a completely revamped design which makes it easier to steer and control.
It has a maximum speed of 10 MPH with individual motors to power the wheels. It is designed and constructed with a small pole in the middle, which makes riding a more comfortable experience. This hoverboard is built with large wheels which make it good for various terrains.
- Segway MiniPror hoverboard is UL 2272 certified thus it’s of high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard.
- 10 MPH is the top speed. On excellent as only a handful of hoverboards come with a 10 MPH top speed.
- Its 10 inch inflated wheels make using the hoverboard easy and more comfortable experience.
- The Segway miniPro comes with 1-year warranty which makes it one of the best hoverboard to buy.
- It also has a front facing LED lights which, make sure you are properly guided especially during your night ride
- Its self-balancing mechanism helps to increase its safety and security.
- The product is easy to learned and to ride
Best Hoverboard Brands: SKQUE X1 UL2272
This is a classic UL 2272 certified, self-balancing scooter. The Skque X1 model has a maximum speed of 7.4 km per hour. Its 4400mAh battery pack takes up to 3 hours to become fully charged. This self balancing scooter has a maximum capacity is 264 LB.
This is also known as one of the most affordable self-balancing boards in the market, which uses 6-inch wheels with metal covers and individual motors to control its direction.
- This hoverboard in known for its affordability tag.
- It’s UL 2272 certified making it one of the boards with high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard to buy
- The hoverboard is very easy to use and also very responsive to user movements.
- The Skque X1 comes with a 1-year warranty which makes it one of the best hoverboard to buy.
- Built-in Bluetooth speaker allows you to easily play music
- Its built-in bright LED Lights help guide users
Best Hoverboard Brands: Swagtron T3
The Swagway Swagtron T3 hoverboard features Bluetooth speakers, as well as some great new features including:
- The Swagtron mobile app
- Three ridings (the beginner, the intermediate, and the advanced) modes.
- SentryShield battery enclosure: This is an aluminum enclosure which prevents the battery from catching on fire when overheated, especially in the event of an overcharge.
Built in carrying strap
The Swagway Swagtron T3 is one of the most responsive, best built hoverboards with Bluetooth on the market and it has quickly become one of the best Bluetooth hoverboard to buy. It’s also considered one of the safest hoverboards, being UL2272 certified.
- Has a larger battery pack which helps it stand out from others.
- It’s UL 2272 certified, meaning it’s safe and of good quality
- Has protective frame against collision damage
- 8MPH max speed
- Has a front facing LED lights that help in guiding you, especially when riding in the night.
- This product comes with a 1-year warranty. This feature actually rare in the world of hoverboards thus making Swagtron T3 one of the best hoverboard to buy
- Riding as well is easy.
- It’s self-balancing mechanism ensures safety
Best Hoverboard Brands: Street Saw – DailySaw
Street Saw is one of the best hoverboard brands in the market. Its Dailysaw is a 6.5-inch, well-built and durable hoverboard that comes in a variety of colors.
The hoverboards come with two powerful front facing Led light that can allow you to see things that are approximately 7 feet away.
Hoverboards from StreetSaw, including the DailySaw, often come with batteries from either Samsung or LG. These batteries are very efficient and usually last longer (up to 5 hours). The Daily Saw is UL 2272 certified which ensures that the hoverboard is of high quality and completely safe as well.
- It’s UL 2272 certified hence the DailySaw hoverboard is of very high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard to buy
- It is built with very powerful LED lights.
- This self balancing board has good battery backup.
Best Hoverboard Brands: Hoverson S
The Hoverzon hoverboard is considered one of the best hoverboard brands in the marker. Hoverson is one of the very first companies that implemented rigorous safety and security measures.
The Hoverzon S model comes with more reliable hardware, smaller wheel guards, and some enhanced modern changes. The designs of the metal plates which are inside the wheels and the foot pads have changed.
The Hoverzon S model has improved in its stability. The mechanics that keep the motors balanced are more responsive and has a maximum speed of 8 MPH which is comparatively lower. Its fully charged battery pack can keep it running for up to 4 hours. However, it is UL 2272 certified which make sure the product is of high quality and safe.
- Its UL 2272 certified hence the Hoverzon’s hoverboard is of very high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard to buy
- 8 km per hour, max speed
- The Hoverzon’s hoverboard comes with a 1-year warranty which makes it one of the best hoverboard to buy.
- The Hoverzon’s hoverboard also has a front facing LED lights that help in guiding use as he move forward
- The self-balancing mechanism to help ensures safety
- Riding is easy.
Best Hoverboard Brands: Jetson Rover V8
Jetson Rover V8 is a better upgrade to the V6 model. The Jetson Bluetooth self balancing scooter is considered one of the best 6.5 inch wheel boards with Bluetooth speakers.
This self-balancing scooter is designed and built with a single Bluetooth speaker that can be used to play music from your smartphone. It comes with a remote controller and a carrying bag.
The Jetson V8 Bluetooth self balancing scooter features a 4400 mAh battery, and 700 Watt motors, which is slightly less powerful than the 1000 Watt motors usually found on regular 8.5 inch hoverboards. This slightly less powerful motor is probably to keep the overall range on a single charge with other 8.5 inch wheel scooters, since the Bluetooth module is always on which also drains battery.
Jetson has made massive improvements in built quality and design. Hence, it’s considered one of the best hoverboard to buy. The motors very powerful and the product is designed with practicality in mind.
Another feature is the back and front LED lighting, which is important to notice that people coming behind you will get better visibility, thus, improves the safety quotient of this hoverboard.
This self balancing board has a dedicated app that can control the hoverboard. This hoverboard is also IP certified, as it is dust and water resistant. Hence, the V8 is considered the safest hoverboard, secure and the best hoverboard to buy – it’s a benchmark among self balancing scooters.
- It comes with a dedicated mobile app which helps in facilitating the control of the hoverboard.
- Its UL 2272 Certified hence the Jetson Rover V8 hoverboard is of very high quality and also one of the safest hoverboard to buy
- It has an inbuilt multiple (beginner, moderate and advanced) modes.
- It is water and dust resistant.
- This hoverboard comes with back and front LED lighting.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: Benefits of Hoverboards
Hoverboards generally uses rechargeable battery only as their source of power and do no need any other resource for its operation. Hence they not emit any poisonous greenhouse gas and thus, saves the atmosphere from further pollution. Also, because nonrenewable energy resources are being used rapidly all over the world, using a smart device such as a hoverboard will be beneficial for both human beings and environment. Thus, overboards are both environmentally and economically friendly as well.
Self-balancing scooters do not cost as much money as a motorcycle or a quality bicycle, even though; they offer you a lot of benefits. Thus, we can conclude that they are very cost effective.
No Maintenance Cost
The well-built and well-engineered hoverboards are durable and not prone to breakage. They do not need to be checked for emissions as they don’t contribute in any way to air pollution and it can be parked anywhere and is very handy. Thus, you don’t need to spend money in building a garage, and you can store it in any part of your home.
Easy To Use
Hoverboards, due to their simply nature, makes it very comfortable, flexible and intuitive to use. No special training is needed to use them. You can easily get along and start using your hoverboard by simply reading the instructions. Their self-balancing features make it a perfect fit for people of all ages.
Irrespective of where you want to go, hoverboards can become the vehicle of your choice. It can be used to go and visit relatives or friends, going to work, going to market or any other place of your choice. Thus, it’s a perfect way to help us save money on fuel costs and reduce the daily carbon footprint. Moreover, it makes traveling supper convenient.
No Transportation Charges
Unlike your vehicle that may require you to spend extra money on things like insurance, the vehicle registration, and other expenses, you need not bear any extra costs with your hoverboards since they are easily movable and are lightweight,.
Easy To Handle
The average weight of hoverboards is around 22 pounds. Thus, hoverboards are not very heavy which makes it easy to move from one place to another. They are also easily lifted or carried. Their size is also small enough to be put inside a locker.
Best Hoverboard Reviews: Limitations of Hoverboards
Cases of Explosion
Many explosions have been recorded with the use of hoverboards. Most of these explosions are cause by lithium ion batteries becoming overheated and explode. Explosion is mostly related to cheap batteries. There are reported cases of hoverboards setting things on fire. For this reason, you are required to purchase the best or supreme quality hoverboards. Go only for hoverboards that are UL certified so that you will be sure it’s safe.
There are many recorded cases of accidents, with majority of these accidents due to fall from a hoverboard. One has to be responsible, not overly excited and cautious while riding a hoverboard. You are also advice to take safety measures such as wearing helmets or safety jackets to avoid all sort of injuries.
Hoverboards are not easily available at the local stores. You might have to rely on online retailers which may also cause late deliveries. Also, online retailers might not ship to every nook and corner making it difficult for some to get hold on hoverboards.
Certain malls, airports, and even cities restrict the use of hoverboards. Thus, buying this could be a waste as it might be banned in your location. So, before you get the hoverboard of your choice, make sure that it is legal in your location.