In the generation of 3D gaming consoles, tablets and Wi-Fi, reading books is more like a fading hobby amongst the younger most generation.
As Margaret Fuller, an American Journalist and Critic, said “today a reader, tomorrow a leader”, reading is among the various major core skills we need to survive as a human in this day and age. This is a socio-cultural, cognitiveand linguisticprocess through which readers use their speaking and writing skills simultaneously also taking in the topic and then using their culture to decipher the meaning of the subject. Learning how to read is a process which lasts an entire lifetime, we learn to read different things in different ways and manner. In the early days of a toddler, they learn to speak and read through their interaction with others. As children learn to read flowing texts through these presentations and demonstrations of knowledge and their own intuitive knowledge, they learn to read and interpret meaning from it and start to enjoy the pleasure and build an understanding of the print. Reading skills develop in various ways, through vocabulary skills; fluency in speaking, reading and writing; and Phonemic awareness, that is, the ability to hear, identify and decipher words and sounds.
Reading opens up doors to the worlds and beyond, it opens up a gateway to adventure and curiosity, to feed that curiosity we keep on reading more and more. Reading boosts the awareness of our surroundings, our culture and society, ignites our imagination and provides us with an inexhaustible mine of knowledge. Reading to children and reading with them has a lasting effect on them and it also harbors a growing relationship between you both as well as helping in language development. In this age of rat race and IT, the habit of reading is lagging behind PS3s and XBOXs. What measures can be taken to rehabilitate the proclivity of reading among the younger generation?
#1 Limit your family’s screen time
#2 Reading with your child
#3 Visiting the nearby libraries and book fairs
#4 Restricted/scheduled usage of smart gadgets
There is a ray of hope in this bleak situation, what we are looking for is something that higher than the already set benchmark for “interesting books”, something that is going to captivate these young minds and keep them coming back for more. A company/publishing house based in Kolkata, Star & Read provides you with customized and personalized story books staring your own children! Star & Read makes customized story books online that puts your child in the story and makes them a part of it, your child will be able to read themselves as a character interacting with all the other characters in the story in an immersive and fascinating illustration. Who doesn’t want to star in their own books, write themselves as a hero in their own story, as children we all dreamt of being the Harry Potter, TinTin or Matilda of our own stories, imagined defeating the evil and ugly villain and rising to the top as the ultimate hero. Star & Read presents your child the opportunity to create their own story book, and them being the ultimate hero, a truly customized and personalized story books with your child’s name and photo to reestablish the golden habit of reading back in to their daily lives.
In the age of Playstation and Youtube, for kids reading books is identified as time consuming and sometimes even “boring” , but as we all know the impact reading had and still has on humanity can’t be replaced with anything else. Reading to the mind is what exercising is to the body.
Reading has inexhaustible amount of benefits, some are listed below:
1. Reading expands your vocabulary
2. Strengthens your memory
3. Builds your perception
4. Cultivates your knowledge
5. Promotes improved focus and concentration
6. Revamps your writing skills
Explaining all that to a kid is practically futile, what can be done is helping them cultivate the habit of reading while keeping them interested at the same time. Few ways to kindle the habit of reading in children are listed below.
1. Read to them from everyday, if you make reading a daily routine to your child, it’s likely that s/he will grow up looking forward to reading.
2. Make reading enjoyable by using interactive books, just like the personalized custom made books offered by Star & Read, they make custom made books starring your child so that reading becomes more enjoyable than it was ever before. When your child will see themselves in the book that they are reading it will peak their interest and books won’t be boring for them anymore.
3. Expose them to a variety of genres, ones about magic and wonder, one which teaches humanity and kindness, ones with problem solving, ones, ones with mystery and suspense, also the ones which will make them laugh and teach them lessons and make them coming back for more.
4. Take them to the local library. Libraries are a treasure pile for children, with infinite amount of books to reading, certain libraries also have a dedicated reading space for children where children can interact with each other and share their stories.
5. Let them choose what they want to read. Don’t force books on them, let them choose on their own, that way they will develop their own taste and interest in books.